Of cats and Amorphophallus pots

Allow me to begin by categorically stating that I love cats. And there are currently three in the house living their merry ways as much and as often as they want. But let's admit it, not everything about them is rosy. Sometimes it's also the color of poop.

I have a number of plants that go dormant in preparation for next season's growth, mostly Amorphophallus, but also terrestrial orchids, gingers, gesneriads, DracontiumGloriosa, and Tacca leontopetaloides. Unfortunately for these plants and their napping tubers/rhizomes, the cats see their 'empty' pots as open invitations to take a dump to. Which is why you see these pots bristling with plastic utensils, in the hopes that barriers such as these are enough to dissuade cats from dropping their unwelcome payloads. What is the batting average, you may ask. For about ten pots, none gets a generous dosage of cat crap.

But the law of averages begin to swing unfavorably when we start talking of more than ten pots. I need more plastic spoons and forks.


Comments

  1. Am glad you decided to have a blogsite, as you have lots of materials to post, and you write very well. I started blogging in 2008 but not favorably sustained. Sometimes i also forget commenting on my friends'posts so they also forgot mine. But i love blogging as i can bond nicely with gardeners around the world, and i can detoxify my stressed consciousness. Most of all i can upload my photos. BTW, our cats play also on the plants, catch butterflies and sometimes kill the birds that come nearby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been tinkering about having a blog since last year but opted for a travel blog instead. But lately, requests for a blog about my plants began trickling in, so I had to yield. But yeah, blogging opens new doors to us that leads to other people with same interests; it's a great way to expand our minds too. Anyway, I am yet to see my cats catch a bird, although they certainly are very interested when one comes nearby. Last year I released two Emerald Skinks that I hatched myself, and still see them around, now already sub-adults. I think good cover protects small animals from cats.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Plants and places: a list of places in the Philippines that were named after plants

Distinguishing Alocasia boyceana, A. heterophylla, and A. ramosii, and some words about asking for plant identification

Phalaenopsis: a photographic compendium of Philippine species