(Accidentally) controlling pests with weeds

A grasshopper on Acalypha amentacea. Some species from the genus are popular garden plants, including A. hispida, A. reptans, and A. wilkesiana.

Like every gardener, I have a constant battle with both pests and weeds. Pests are often seasonal, while weeds can pester any time of the year. Some months ago I noticed a seedling of Acalypha amentacea growing on one of my pots, and for some reason, always neglected to pull it out every time I weed around the humble garden. When it was the size of a small shrub, I finally decided to get rid of it, once and for all. That is when I noticed a grasshopper resting on one of its stems. Then another. And another. And then I noticed the plant's chewed leaves. This meant only one thing: the hoppers are feeding on the Acalypha. And that is when I also realized that my plants ceased exhibiting grasshopper damage. You see, during the hotter months these hoppers make a salad bar out of my garden, and I have lost quite a considerable number of leafy vegetables from their ravenous appetites. A chemical solution is not an option, as I like my little garden swarming with life- butterflies, spiders, geckos, and skinks make this their home too. And pragmatism also dictates that whatever effort I put into hunting these buggers down, there is no way I can completely eradicate them. It's only going to be a losing battle.


So yeah, I opted not to get rid of the weed, at least for the time being. However, I can only accommodate just one of these- recruits will be pulled out at the quickest possible time.



Interestingly, these hoppers have become so used to my presence that they can be stroked for a few seconds before they decide I am too much of a nuisance and leap off mightily into the air. I have had visitors that were pleasantly surprised to find these 'tame' grasshoppers, and honestly, I like seeing them around too, now that they have stopped bothering my precious plants. So yes, they can stay here.


I think it's looking at me.
The grasshoppers aren't living a charmed life, though. From time to time I pick some of them to be fed to my tarantulas. So the grasshoppers' gluttony is being kept in check, and they provide a snack to my hairy charges- and all this is made possible by a lowly weed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plants and places: a list of places in the Philippines that were named after plants

Phalaenopsis: a photographic compendium of Philippine species

Distinguishing Alocasia boyceana, A. heterophylla, and A. ramosii, and some words about asking for plant identification