Cycas zambalensis throws a tantrum


Behold an eleven-year-old seed-grown specimen that has lived all its life in a clay pot. And recently, while cleaning the little garden and ridding it of weeds, I noticed that the cycad's Pilea microphylla-choked pot is broken. I did some mental mathematics, and concluded that the last time it was repotted -in this pot- was more or less four years ago. Obviously, the plant is screaming for more root space and what better way to get the message across than by breaking its own pot.

Note that the plant is flushing. When fully unfurled, the new leaves are glaucous blue.

Cycas zambalensis. The tank beside it houses a turtle.




Cycas zambalensis is one of eleven known species of this ancient genus of gymnosperms in the Philippines. It was originally described from San Antonio in Zambales, and a second population occurs at Botolan, also in Zambales. I have been fortunate to visit the only two known sites of this very narrowly endemic species. The plants grow on ultramafic soils either on grasslands or fully exposed situations with very little vegetation. The two photos below were taken from the type locality, San Antonio:



It seems that this old specimen was beginning to flush new leaves when this area was damaged by fire. Note the seedlings around its base.

And here are the plants from Botolan:



Seeds aplenty. Note the scorched trunk.


In case you are wondering, those hills weren't denuded due to logging. The soil is rich in chromite and therefore toxic to most plant life. Only those that are specialized enough to deal with the metals have found a place here. That, in a nutshell, is what a so-called ultrabasic/ultramafic forest is. Unfortunately for these plants, their metal-laden soils are attractive to mining companies, for obvious reasons. An even badder news is that once such habitats are destroyed, it is virtually impossible to rehabilitate and bring back the species that were once there. The finality is practically absolute. As of now, I am not aware of any mining activity or even prospecting being undertaken in the two localities, although things can suddenly turn drastic without a moment's notice. Chromite, after all, is a very valuable ingredient in the production of stainless steel. But there is one activity that is depleting the cycad's numbers: collecting for sale in town fiestas. Some locals and members of Aeta tribes do collect cycads and offer them for sale during various feast days, to be bought by casual buyers who do not even know what these plants were. And no, I am not mentioning this so you can go to a town feast in the province just so you can buy some C. zambalensis. You will only fuel further collection of these cycads in the wild. Besides, some peddlers offer the very common C. revoluta, and there is a likelihood that that is the species you'll end up with, particularly if you do not really know the traits that separate the two.

I'm not sure how I got this one to germinate for me, but I do recall that I attempted germination on two seeds which I believe I set on fire the same day I set ablaze some seeds of pyrophytic Drosera species. I thought then, as I still do now, that fire may be needed to coax germination. Seeds are plentiful in their natural habitats, and perhaps a botanical garden can start cultivating this species before any untoward event befalls these cycads. Be aware though that cycad seeds have been reported to be carcinogenic.

As for my plant, I have three options: 1. move it to a larger pot (short-term solution), 2. plant it directly on the ground (long-term solution), or 3. create a concrete planter for it, right on the same spot where it is now (another long-term solution). I am leaning towards the third choice, but it might be a while before I am able to fashion such a planter. Perhaps I should buy a larger pot instead, at least for the meantime.

Before the tantrums go out of hand.




Comments

  1. Hi. I'm interested in growing local cycads. Where can I find Cycas zambalensis seeds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my... C. zambalensis seeds aren't commercially available. However, I know at least one grower who might be having seeds from his plants. I'll ask him first then I'll get back to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want to do my part in keeping these plants alive. Definitely don't want a plant collected from the wild, which is why I prefer seeds. Let me know, thanks!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Plants and places: a list of places in the Philippines that were named after plants

Distinguishing Alocasia boyceana, A. heterophylla, and A. ramosii, and some words about asking for plant identification

Materials for an inorganic cactus and succulent mix