The nectar-dripper


If you have been reading my posts lately particularly about Pomatocalpa bicolor (https://jardinerongsunog.blogspot.com/2019/06/orchids-on-rocks.html), you surely would have noticed me bitching about the rampant vine growth in a forest in the province of Laguna. Well, here's one of those vines, but one that I wouldn't mind taking over. This is Hoya meliflua, a large-leaf species with large clusters of pink flowers that turn orange. I'll explain later the change in flower color.


Hoya meliflua was originally described as Stapelia meliflua by Francisco Manuel Blanco in 1837, but was moved to the genus Hoya by Elmer D. Merrill in 1918. It is found in several islands from Luzon to Mindanao and has been recorded from Indonesia as well. The species name is a concatenation of two Latin words which means 'dripping in honey'. And that is the reason why the plants is called as such- because of its dripping orange nectar that stains the flowers and drips to the ground. Sunbirds are attracted to the sweet bounty, as do butterflies, moths, and even geckos. Below is a photo I took of my plant, showing the gecko Hemidactylus frenatus being attracted to the nectar. I know, you may argue that it's there only for the bugs that are drawn to the flowers. But believe me, I saw it lapping up the nectar. I just thought then that I wouldn't have had the need to prove it to you now. If I had, then the photo would've been slightly different.



The plants I found had some of their stems scrambling on the ground along with other vines, and some of the flowers were seen developing at ground level.


Above and below: orange nectar has started to stain the otherwise pink flowers.


Hoya meliflua is placed in section Amblyostemma, together with H. diversifolia, H. excavata, and H. kerrii. These plants are characterized by the thick, glabrous, and heavy leaves that have convex margins (rolled backwards), short peduncles, pubescent corolla, coronas with rounded outer edges and cuspidate inner edges, and copius nectar. It is popular in cultivation, as even without the fragrant flowers, the large, glossy leaves provide ample interest. You may need quite a large space for it, though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plants and places: a list of places in the Philippines that were named after plants

Distinguishing Alocasia boyceana, A. heterophylla, and A. ramosii, and some words about asking for plant identification

Phalaenopsis: a photographic compendium of Philippine species