Vrydagzynea hiding in plain sight


Now I must admit that I was in this same exact spot about two weeks ago and did not notice these plants. And I'm pretty sure that it's because about two weeks ago, the plants were just beginning to form their capitate (head-like) inflorescences. The white flowers made the difference. And you would be forgiven if you think that these are just some obscure 'weed' but it's actually an orchid.


I know, I know. These do not look like they are orchids at all, but they are. When I first saw one, I thought I was looking at a Tropidia, another orchid that doesn't look like an orchid. Nevertheless, this is a species of Vrydagzynea, which belongs to the group commonly called the 'jewel orchids' for their shimmering, patterned leaves. Three species are known from the Philippines, but these plants differed mostly by their lance-shaped leaves and more contracted inflorescences. In fact, it is most similar to a species known from outside the archipelago, V. lancifolia. However, that species has a silvery midrib and stems and leaf undersides that are covered with short, white indumentum. Both have similarly shaped leaves, head-like inflorescences, and bracts edged with trichomes.


The plants were growing with other low herbaceous vegetation in leaf litter, under quite heavy shade. The stems are erect and quite stiffened- very different from most jewel orchids where the stems are creeping and thus prostrate. The tallest specimens I observed were about 23 cm tall.

Alright, I have given you enough information. Now spell 'Vrydagzynea' 😀


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plants and places: a list of places in the Philippines that were named after plants

Distinguishing Alocasia boyceana, A. heterophylla, and A. ramosii, and some words about asking for plant identification

Phalaenopsis: a photographic compendium of Philippine species