Amorphophallus urceolatus update

If you have seen my previous post regarding the blooming of my two Amorphophallus urceolatus, then you probably already know that I am looking forward to obtaining seeds of this species. Amorphophallus urceolatus is rarely represented in private collections (even in the Philippines, where it is native), and even when it is, the specimens involved are what I would call 'typical' examples, being vase-like and dull purple. My two plants are atypically dark, with the pollen parent being an exceptional clone with very dark coloration and more widely flaring spathe with crenate margins. I have since referred to this plant as A. urceolatus 'Saitan', a name derived from the Tagalog god of the underworld. The seed parent is what I now call A. urceolatus 'Lakapati', whose name refers to the Tagalog deity of fertility. If you haven't seen the previous post I am referring to, please click here:

https://jardinerongsunog.blogspot.com/2019/07/two-amorphophallus-urceolatus-are-about.html

The photo below shows the transfer of Saitan's pollen to Lakapati's female flowers, dated July 7, a few minutes before midnight:


And here is 'Lakapati' the day after:


A little over a month later, and here she is now:



Things appear to be progressing well, isn't it? 'Saitan' of course is in slumber, but I hope he'll produce a few offsets by next spring.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Do you have any studies/research on A. urceolatus? It will be great for my study. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Plants and places: a list of places in the Philippines that were named after plants

Distinguishing Alocasia boyceana, A. heterophylla, and A. ramosii, and some words about asking for plant identification

Phalaenopsis: a photographic compendium of Philippine species