The succulent Dischidiopsis ramosii

About 12 years ago I was given a cutting of Dischidiopis ramosii from the eastern coast of Luzon which thrived until its death in 2013, a casualty of the poor water quality that I (and the plants) had to endure (for more of that story, click here: https://jardinerongsunog.blogspot.com/2018/07/how-deforestation-decimated-my-plant.html). 

At that time my D. ramosii, which was maintained in a rather shaded position, grew fairly slowly, with rather large, boat-shaped leaves in green. The leaves and flowers remind one of Dischidiopsis parasitica, but the leaves were noticeably wider and relatively thicker. Additionally, it was a much slower growing plant than the D. parasitica that I maintained under similar conditions. When the plant died it would be three more years before I got the opportunity to keep one again. 


My current plant is now being exposed to full sun where it grew much more sluggishly than the previous one. But I'm not complaining. Being exposed to the elements, the plant became very compact, with much-abbreviated internodes filled in by heavy, fleshy leaves. Gone are the green foliage and what resulted instead is a golden yellow with faint green tinges. Color-wise, there isn't much difference between a healthy leaf and one that is about to fall off. I have often heard of people complaining that their dischidias and Dischidiopsis are so rampant and unruly that they grow where they shouldn't be in quite a short time. Here's a species that keeps to itself.


Dischidia ramosii is endemic to the Philippines. In the wild, these occur as isolated plants, not in populations like in the case of D. parasitica, which tends to form dense tangles of many different plants. And it is for this reason that D. ramosii is almost unknown in cultivation, as they are on the rarer side of things.

I would love to propagate this plant and distribute it to a few individuals, but how can I possibly have the heart to chop up a specimen like that???


Errata: I have originally posted this as 'Dischidia rosea', until it was pointed out by Antone Jones that this is, in fact, Dischidiopsis ramosii. I mentioned above that I used to have an older plant of this, and earlier today I found the tag of that plant, and it said 'Dischidiopsis ramosii'. My memory failed me on this one!

At any rate, Antone said that, as per Dr. Livschultz, these plants aren't different florally from Dischidiopsis parasitica and that the two should be considered as one species. Maybe so, but for now, will list this plant as D. ramosii until a paper formally places D. ramosii under D. parasitica. And then I'll edit the post again...

Comments

  1. I hope it could flourish again so that you can propagate, Sir :D I have a similar plant specimen but the leaf is more oval. I think it's a dischidia as well and not a hoya. I'm just waiting for the peduncles and the flowers so that I could identify it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's extreeeeemely slow-growing. If it was behaving more as a rapidly growing vine, then taking cuttings would be easier. Anyway, bloom-inducing fertilizers might coax your plant into flowering. However, I find dischidias easier to flower than hoyas, with or without ferts.

      Delete
  2. This plant is amazing! If you get seeds I would be interested in trading you for some of my seeds. Right now I have a seed pod developing on my Hoya sp Irian Jaya. I live in Southern California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! It's a plant that can try your patience though especially if grown hard, but I guess it has to be grown that way to make it more compact and succulent. Antone Jones thinks it's a phenotypic variation of Dischidiopsis parasitica; I haven't looked at the floral details to confirm it, so far, but if it is only a variation of D. parasitica, I still won't complain. And I must admit, your offer does sound very tempting!

      Delete
    2. For some Dischidias I get the feeling that they do better mounted on a long piece of wood that has a thick layer of New Zealand Sphagnum moss on it. The mount can be frequently watered because it has perfect drainage and each node of the Dischidia can root into the moss. You might try mounting a cutting from yours! Plus, then you will have a backup copy in case something happens to your original! :)

      Delete
    3. Will try that, thanks. I still have a few extras, smaller ones at that. And if you are keen I might be able to send you one!

      Delete
    4. Let me know how it goes! Yeah, I'm definitely keen! I'd be happy to send you some seeds of the Hoya sp Irian Jaya as well as cuttings of my Dischidias if you're interested in any of them.

      Delete
  3. Excellent! Please do give me your email address so we can better communicate about dischidias and other plants!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Plants and places: a list of places in the Philippines that were named after plants

Distinguishing Alocasia boyceana, A. heterophylla, and A. ramosii, and some words about asking for plant identification

Phalaenopsis: a photographic compendium of Philippine species